Tuesday 6 January 2009

THE CRYSTAL CAVE by Mary STEWART


I have read many books over the years (theme being Merlin, King Arthur etc.), and it has been many years since I remember this book. On revisiting the story , I must say that the author has created a wonderful tale.
Merlin is growing up (the illegimate son of Niniane, and it turns out, Ambrosius). He only realises who his father is, after fleeing from his home,at a young age, following the death of his grandfather, the King (and Niniane's father).
Merlin is taken into Ambrosius's kingdom and his powers are becoming evident. Apart from this, he learns many skills - medicine, engineering, but is not a fighter.
This story closes with Uther Pendragon and Ygraine - Merlin having a vision that a child will be born out of Uther & Ygraines night of passion - the boy Arthur.

Having recently read the series "Daughters of Tintagel"by Fay Sampson, which follows the same theme - would say this is a better version - First Class.

2 comments:

Lynda said...

I read this series as a teenager and remeber it fondly. I think my brother still has them - if so, I'll be borrowing them again thanks to your review ;0)

Anonymous said...

I've had this book in my WL for a while, I'll be looking forward to adding it to my TBR pile after your review! :-)